Summer waves goodbye

This last week of the summer holidays has taken me away from my writing as I prepare for my children's return to school. Already, autumn whispers in with it's cool breezes but before the holiday season is over, I thought I'd share some old summer photographs with you and a poem (not written by me) too.

See you in the autumn.

Joy Is Measured
Joy is touched through that we touch daily.
golden light stripes the wall in morning
as apparition appearing
(though no false god this!)
to silently nudge slumber with a most gentle alarm of holiday dream.
was it a dream? - no matter.
to heat, to water!
to the green depths of lake that curtain summer stage.
a dive, then first breath, the slow  blurring of edges,
the lack of form between things.
soon a plot unfolds.
cloud and shadow scheme,
draw plans on distant hills
while breeze, waiting in the wing,
rehearse with wave their entrance and exit,
the tricky part,
all the while whistling vaguely
in the manner of summer.
ah yes, summer.
the season meant to remind,
in the final act and measure,
that a clarity lies just out of sight
(on the lakebed perhaps)
awaiting the memory of future days.

by Ken Blackburn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking location inspiration from real life

She Writes B&W Blogger Ball

My new writer website is up and running