No More Sarah Jane

This image is a promotional picture from Docto...Image via Wikipedia
I am an avid Doctor Who fan. From my earliest years, I can remember being scared of the Daleks and chortling at the Doctor's antics. My personal favourite (and the Doctor I remember most from my childhood) was Jon Pertwee. He always seemed very glamorous and gallant.

The Doctor's companions came and went but one companion whom I was always glad to see was Sarah Jane Smith. She was gutsy and honest and always ready for a fight. She wasn't scared to stand up to the Doctor or that episode's particular villain. Even when the Doctor was no longer in her life, she refused to turn her back on her travels and instead began her own personal crusade to investigate aliens visiting Planet Earth and helping those in danger. She was as much my hero as the errant Doctor.

Yesterday it was announced that the actress who played Sarah Jane had passed away. Elisabeth Sladen died, aged 63, from cancer.

John Barrowman tweeted about her death, saying "I loved my time on the Tardis with her. I am proud to have worked with such an icon of the sci-fi world". Russell T Davies, creator of the Sarah Jane Adventures has said, "I absolutely loved Lis. She was funny and cheeky and clever and just simply wonderful. The universe was lucky to have Sarah Jane, the world was lucky to have Lis."

A spokeswoman for the Doctor Who show which returns on Saturday has announced that "something suitable is being planned" as a tribute to Elisabeth Sladen.

I don't want to say goodbye to Sarah Jane because her character will always be a part of the Doctor Who legacy. I'll leave you with a clip of her instead. I think this pays excellent tribute to both Sarah Jane and Elisabeth Sladen.


Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking location inspiration from real life

She Writes B&W Blogger Ball

My new writer website is up and running