Follow Friday

Okay, I know that #followfriday (or #ff) is a hashtag on Twitter but I reckon it's an excellent thing to do on a Friday blog post too. So here we go.

#amwriting

This started out as a hashtag for a small community of writers to converse on Twitter and flag up their posts to each other. Started by the writer Johanna Harness, the small community grew, the hashtag won an award (2010 Christopher Al-Asward Prize) and now #amwriting has a physical online presence. This website is an excellent resource for writers with an author directory, the opportunity to see your blog posts online, and many helpful articles. Although I've been using this hashtag since last year, I only recently registered on the website. You don't have to be registered to use the website but I think the free registration on this site is well worth the time. Have a look.

Neil Gaiman

Neil Gaiman is a writing hero of mine. I was introduced to his writing through the novel Good Omens which was written jointly with Terry Pratchett (another of my writing heroes). Sarcastic, sometimes outright funny and hugely imaginative, this horror/fantasy novel flags up the best of each writer's voice. I especially loved the terrier from Hell (really, it's a hell hound, just very small). After that I read Neverwhere and suddenly remembered that I'd seen this story as a TV series which I had loved. I always thought there was more to the London tube system than just a way to get around. Upon further investigation, I discovered that Gaiman is an immensely diverse writer. His body of work includes TV, film, novels, graphic comics and theatre. His website (click on his name above to get there) is interesting, constantly updated and very representative of his unique voice. To me, it's what a writer's website should be. He tweets as neilhimself on a regular basis.

Dawn Brazil's Brilliant Babbles about Books

I can't actually remember how I came across Dawn and her blog. I think it may have been through the She Writes community or possibly on one of  Meg Waite Clayton's blog hops. Dawn describes herself as an 'aspiring author' who has written two books and is working on a third. Her genre is young adult science fiction and fantasy. Her blog features tips for fellow writers, news on her writing projects and her comments on life in general. Do pop on over there and say hello.

Creative Boom

I think I'll use Creative Boom's own words to tell you what it is and does,

"an online magazine and free network community that aims to celebrate, inspire and support the creative industries throughout the UK".

Started in 2009 by Katy Cowan, the site has grown since then and includes twelve main regional 'hubs' plus a national   UK home page. This is a great resource that provides news, articles, a job board and much much more for us creative types. It provides an opportunity to collaborate, network and generally get noticed.

Kelly Hashway

Kelly is a published writer of novels for children and young adults. She runs a wonderful website that features news on her books (and how to buy them), plus helpful posts and prompts for fellow writers. This lovely lady always responds to comments on her site and is a frequent commenter on my blog. Please do have a look at her site.

Comments

  1. Fi, you just made my day! I'm so honored to have my site listed with Neil Gaiman! It doesn't get any better than that. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Kelly. You're always helpful and positive and a great example for writers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fi - Interesting . . . #amwriting. I look forward to checking out your recommendations. I always find Kelly Hashway's comments encouraging and I adore Dash!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear once it has been approved. Thank you for your interest.

Popular posts from this blog

Taking location inspiration from real life

She Writes B&W Blogger Ball

My new writer website is up and running