Resetting my Mindset


I've always had a specific approach to getting writing done. I write. Then I wander around, get a coffee, do some housework, while I think about the next stage in my my writing. Then I write some more. I've always done that, whether working on a play, my novel or these blog posts, and it's been an effective way to get things done in the past.

It doesn't work, however, when you're writing to a time limit. I have 20 minutes to write this email, or I have an hour and a half to turn this bullet list into an informative piece on productivity, all under the remit of a client.

When it's my own time, it's fine to have those 'brainstorm' walks but when I'm writing for a client who doesn't want to pay for any more time than they have to, the wanderings are out of the question.

It's a new puzzle to solve. I need more focus within a tighter time frame. I have to 'parent' myself like I do my children as I drag them through the door each morning for school. No self indulgence, well, not until I've finished my workload.

It's a puzzle and a learning curve that I'm enjoying though. Already I can see that the rest of my writing is seeing a benefit from this fresh mindset. Of course, the extra money is appreciated too.

What about you? Do you change mindset depending on what you're writing?

Comments

  1. I'm a tough boss. I seriously could never be anyone else's boss because they'd hate me. I'm very tough on myself and force myself to focus until a goal is met, if not exceeded. Take today for instance. I wouldn't let myself comment on blogs until I surpassed by page count goal for editing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I like being self employed but I do need to learn to be stricter with myself. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear once it has been approved. Thank you for your interest.

Popular posts from this blog

Keeping Christmas all year round

Pinning Inspiration

Many Sides of Medusa Blog Hop